Recoil Tangless inserts are designed to offer the same reliable thread strengthening whilst minimizing the risk of losing a ‘tang’ associated with tanged inserts. Generally, wire thread inserts use a small, piece of material at the bottom of the insert to provide a catching point for the installation tooling, making installation possible. The tang is broken off and removed after installation.
Tangless inserts, however, can be installed without the use of a tang using specialised tooling and an installation notch on the bottom coil of the insert. The absence of a tang eliminates the risk of the metal tang falling into safety critical applications such as engines or electronic equipment.
Metric Tangless inserts are designed to replace tanged helical coil inserts as specified in MA3279 through MA3281 (standard thread) and MA3329 through MA3331 (locking thread). They install in standard STI tapped holes per MA1567. Installed inserts provide a finished thread meeting the requirements of FED-STD-H28, M Profile, Tolerance Classes 4H or 5H, as well as ISO metric thread specifications, and accept standard or MJ profile bolts or screws.
Recoil Tangless inserts are available in free-running, screw-locking and strip-feed varieties.
Increased Installation Speed
- No tang to break off post insert installation, eliminating a stage in the installation process; ideal for automatic installation in high volume applications
- No tang to retrieve post insert installation, eliminates vacuuming or extraction and counting of the displaced tangs
- Bi-directional design eliminates insert orientation. No need for time consuming insert checking prior to each installation
Installation adjustment and removal flexibility
- Tangless® inserts are easily adjusted or removed after initial installation, just re-insert the installation tool and wind or insert the removal tool and unwind
- Tangless® inserts removal tools never touch the application ensuring no damage occurs unlike outmoded insert removal techniques
Foreign object damage (FOD) – Free
- No loose tangs to potentially damage the finished product
Combined with all the benefits of standard Recoil wire thread inserts
Wire thread inserts are used to strengthen threads, giving applications a longer life. Each insert shares the load over the entire bolt and hole, improving holding or pull out resistance. With Recoil insert installed, a more even distribution of load and stress can be achieved.